Praxis Core Testing
Praxis Core Test Takers can find guidance about their scheduled test date(s) using the following resources:
- Appalachian State University Testing Services Webpage
- Testing Center Facebook Page: Appalachian State University Office of Testing Services
- Prepare for Your Teaching Career with the Praxis® Tests
- Log-in to your “My Praxis Account” page for quick access testing updates.
Contact one of the above resources PRIOR to your test date to get the most current and up-to-date information.
What is the Praxis and why do I have to take it?
Appalachian students who are interested in becoming educators are required to Apply to Teacher Education. The Praxis Core Tests are the first requirement toward eligibility for applying to teacher education, as you will see in the list of application requirements below.
Deadlines for Students Seeking Admission to Teacher Education
Candidates seeking admission to Teacher Education must submit an application by August 1st for Fall admission. Required Praxis scores, criminal background check approvals must be received and prerequisites met prior to submission of Teacher Education application. Students enrolled in Summer II prerequisite courses must submit Teacher Education application within 3 business days of final grades being posted to be considered for Fall admission.
- August 1 - Deadline to submit a teacher education application for any Fall Course
- January 1 - Deadline to submit a teacher education application for any Spring Course
In order to apply, you must meet all of the pre-requisites:
- Passing Praxis CORE test or being exempted (based on SAT or ACT scores)
- A current Criminal Background Check (within 6 months of your application)
- Cumulative GPA of 2.7 or higher (on a minimum of 12 semester hours of courses completed at Appalachian)
- 45 semester hours or more
- A C or better in RC 1000, FDN 2400, & CI 2300
- No Grades of Incomplete
Note: It is recommended that all students attend a First Steps to Teaching meeting PRIOR to submitting their application.
The required test for admission to Teacher Education is called the Praxis CORE. Please note that some students are exempt from this requirement thanks to their SAT or ACT scores:
Praxis CORE Passing Scores
- Reading: 156 or higher
- Writing: 162 or higher
- Math: 150 or higher
- Combined: 468 or higher
- SAT & ACT Scores (for exemption)
If you took the new SAT after March 2016: 1170 or higher on the SAT combined Evidence-Based Reading/Writing and Math (Optional essay scores are not counted)
If you took the old SAT before March 2016: 1100 or higher on the SAT combined Verbal and Math (Writing scores are not counted)
If you took the ACT:
- 24 or higher Composite score
If you did not earn a SAT or ACT exemption score, you may still be exempt from one or two sections of the test:
Praxis CORE Reading and Writing exemption
- Old SAT Verbal score of 550 or higher
- New SAT Evidence-Based Reading/Writing score of 600 or higher
- ACT English score of 24 or higher
Praxis CORE Math exemption
- Old SAT Math score of 550 or higher
- New SAT Math score of 570 or higher
- ACT Math score of 24 or higher
*The old SAT Writing score is not considered in either the total SAT score nor is it a way to be exempted from the Praxis CORE Writing.
**ACT and SAT scores cannot be combined according to NC state policy.
Questions? Visit the James Center for Student Success and Advising Praxis CORE page for assistance.
What score do I need to get on the Praxis Core tests?
You can review the Official ETS WEBSITE FOR SCORE INFORMATION.
Where do I take the Praxis Core tests?
You can find the information for Praxis Core Testing Sites on the Official ETS Praxis® Test Registration webpage.
How do I register for the Praxis Core tests?
You can find all the information you need for registration on the Official ETS PRAXIS CORE Prepare for your Praxis® Test WEBPAGE.
How much do these tests cost?
You can find the Test and Service Fees on the Official ETS PRAXIS CORE TEST CODES AND FEES webpage.
How much time does it take to prepare for these tests?
You can find the study preparation information on the Official ETS Khan Academy® Official Praxis® Core Prep webpage.
When do I need to take the Praxis Core tests?
All teacher education majors will need to take the Praxis Core Tests as early as possible. You will work with your University College Academic Advisor or your Teacher Education Advisor assigned to you in your program.